When we started out as company ourselves we were torn deciding what to use as brand assets. Then the below points from a website helped us narrow down on our choice.
1. Test prevalence and uniqueness of distinctive assets with consumers and do not rely on marketer’s opinions, which are often biased.
2. Consistently use your distinctive assets: do not change from campaign to campaign, and be wary of ‘refreshing’ elements.
3. Prominently use your key distinctive assets in advertising and on pack.
4. Before creating a new brand element, check if any competitors have associations with it.
5. If your brand element is not well known, use it with conjunction with the brand name as much as possible.